The BREF SIC gives information on the manufacture of Speciality Inorganic Chemicals in the EU:
- general information
- applied processes and techniques
- current emission and consumption levels
- techniques to consider in the determination of BAT
- best available techniques (BAT)
- emerging techniques.
The SIC sector is characterised by its diversity and by its fragmentation. Thousands of SIC products are manufactured all over Europe using an immense range of raw materials and production processes. SIC installations are generally small to medium size installations using continuous or batch modes of operation. Some SIC installations produce only one type of SIC while others are multipurpose plants capable of producing many different SIC. Companies of all sizes (from very large to very small) produce SIC at standalone installations or at installations that are part of a larger industrial complex.
This BREF covers the chemical installations for the production of speciality inorganic chemicals such as:
- speciality inorganic pigments
- phosphorus compounds (PCl3, POCl3, PCl5)
- inorganic explosives
- cyanides (NaCN, KCN)
- soluble inorganic salts of nickel (sulphate, chloride, carbonate and nitrate).